Cindy Allen & Associates PLLC

Phone: 405-310-8673

map map google linkedin

Child Custody Archives

Fathers more involved in child care than in past

Some Oklahoma fathers may be spending more time with their children than fathers in the past. In a 2015 survey by Pew Research Center, the seven hours per week fathers said that they spent on child care was almost three times higher than it was in 1965. Mothers reported spending 15 hours per week on child care. Almost half of fathers said they felt they did not spend enough time with their children compared to one-quarter of mothers.

Shared child custody benefits families substantially

Divorcing parents in Oklahoma will have child custody issues to sort through, and fathers should especially consider the benefits of joint or shared custody. Men could experience an uphill climb in family court because, according to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, family courts continue to give physical custody to mothers in over 80 percent of cases.

Seeking custody of a younger sibling

In cases where Oklahoma parents may not be able to provide proper care for minor children, an older sibling may potentially have the ability to seek temporary or even permanent custody. However, seeking custody as a sibling still presents a number of challenges, particularly because siblings are often close in age.

When parental rights can be terminated

For many Oklahoma parents, the idea of having their rights be terminated can be a frightening thought. For others, however, having their parental rights be terminated may bring relief especially if they cannot properly provide for their children but have not been able to get help. Before a person's parental rights can be terminated, however, there must be a termination proceeding.

Nesting as a child custody alternative

Divorcing parents in Oklahoma and around the country are often able to put their differences aside when child custody and visitation are discussed. Research suggests that protracted custody disputes can damage children emotionally, and shared parenting arrangements are becoming increasingly popular among couples who wish to minimize this psychological toll. One type of shared parenting is called nesting, and its proponents say that it provides children with even more emotional security.

What to do if a parent is abusing alcohol or drugs

An Oklahoma parent who is divorced or who is going through a divorce may be concerned about the other parent's substance abuse and how it may affect their child. If the divorce is in progress, the issue should be raised at the child custody hearing. The judge will look into it and determine whether the substance abuse affects the child's safety. The aim of the court is to protect the best interests of the child, and any past substance abuse may also be taken into consideration.

When a child can decide where to live

When an Oklahoma parent is given custody of a child, the decision is made with the child's best interests at heart. However, it is possible that the child does not want to live with the custodial parent. In some cases, the wishes of the child may be taken into account depending on maturity level and age. The noncustodial parent must generally be willing to take on the responsibility of caring for his or her son or daughter.

Reasons for changes of custody

In situations where Oklahoma parents who have young children end their marriage, one of the parents is often granted primary physical custody, with the other being given certain visitation rights. Most of the time, these orders are permanent, but there are situations where the arrangement needs to be changed.

Common child custody issues

When parents in Oklahoma divorce, they generally maintain a strong commitment to the well-being of their children. This means that both parties are committed to crafting an equitable parenting plan and providing appropriate financial support for the children. Unfortunately, sometimes even good parents find themselves in conflict with each other over child support, visitation and custody issues.

When a third party seeks custody of a child

In certain situations, Oklahoma residents may be granted custody of a child who is not theirs. For example, a grandparent, aunt or uncle may have it approved by the court if it has been found that the parents cannot adequately care for the child. Before a third party is given custody, the state will consider a number of factors.